Posts by a.key

When you're trying to debug what's wrong with your setup be aware of:
    dmesg - will tell you kernel messages in regards to anything happening to devices and drivers etc.
    ls -al /dev/dvb/ - will list you DVB devices/frontends that the kernel presents to Linux userspace
    cat /proc/bus/nim_sockets - will show you what tuners are available for enigma2.

In general you need:
    - The physical device (USB tuner)
    - drivers (kernel modules)
    - firmware for the drivers
    - usbtuner binary

Once you connect the USB device to your box you run dmesg on the command line (through SSH or telent) to see what does the kernel say about the device. All the messages maybe rather cryptic but should give you enough idea. You will see some messages about connected USB devices and given USB IDs etc.

To load the the necessary drivers into the kernel you basically do: modprobe <driver_name>
    Loading the driver will attempt to load the actual driver and all related drivers because you have to know that it's not just one driver that is required for supporting your device. Various pieces of the h/w in the USB tuner device require various drivers and loading the main driver should automatically load all related drivers for other components. This should be handled automatically by modprobe assuming that all drivers are available/installed and the program and kernel knows about them. As you can imagine there needs to be some kind of way to tell the kernel's module autoloader in what order to load all the drivers and this is where "depmod -a" comes handly. After installing new drivers (kernel modules) the OS (Linux userspace) should run depmod -a to update this database of module relationships. if it's not done automatically you need to run it manually. But you should only require run it once after all your drivers have been installed.
    A very important aspect of installing and loading drivers is the firmware. Firmware is a part device drivers that is not provided in an open source and provided as a binary blob (a file) instead. The firmware file needs to be of certain version and needs to be named exactly as the kernel module (driver) expects it. In addition to this the firmware file needs to be placed in /lib/firmware or some sub directory of it - once again this is dependent on what the driver (kernel module) expects.
    So once you have everything installed on your box (kernel modules and firmware) when you do "modprobe <kernel_module_name>" there will be some interesting messages produced by the kernel which you will be able to see when you run "dmesg". If you can't see anything interesting try unplugging the device and plugging it back in and right after this check "dmesg". In most of the cases the modules cannot be loaded because firmware file is missing, not in the right place or wrong version. Of course it may also be the case of not being able to load one or more of required drivers/modules. But kernel (through dmesg) should show you.
    Sometimes you need to unload all the related modules (modprobe -r <module_name>) and load the device module again (which should try loading all related modules automatically) and if there is any module missing you'll probably see it on the console or in dmesg. When unloading particular modules you will have to do it in a correct order because they depend on each other so if module "z" requires module "y" and module "y" requires module "x" as it's dependency you will not be able to do: modprobe -r "x" because linux will tell you that it's being used by module "y" or module "z" so you will have to first unload module "z" then module "y" and finally if nothing is using module "x" it will let you unload it.

There seem to be a lot of confusion about "modprobe -b" and module-init-tools. There reason why my scripts even touch this subject is because at the time of me creating this whole thing my enigma2 image would freeze during boot when all my usb tuner device drivers were loaded. This had something to do with frontend ordering in /dev/dvb and how enigma2 was expecting it at bootup. The solution to the problem was to blacklist the usb tuner device driver (module) in /etc/modprobe.conf so that the driver doesn't get loaded automatically during boot. Then, once all normal services started and before enigma2 process is started, start the usbtuner service which manually loads the required module/driver, starts usbtuner binary to present the tuner in /proc/bus/nim_sockets and allow enigma2 process to see it as additional tuner.
    So the images I looked at by default were using "modprobe" command that did not support blacklist support. Installing module-init-tools rectified it because it was shipping a different version of modprobe program which did support the -b switch but -b is not executed by default so I had to "patch" the script that runs it to add the "-b" switch. After that my box would cleanly boot and not stall half way through. I honestly don't know why doing this on recent gemini or some other OE 2.0 images breaks the boot process. I didn't have time to look at it - and still don't. A way to find this out is to enable console redirection to serial port in the bios and observing the boot process through console (in eg. minicom or hyperterminal).

I know that it's all rather technical and may not help average user who just wants to have an additional tuner in their enigma2 box but may help to understand how the whole process work for someone who decides to take it forward and has some more generic linux admin knowledge.

I could update the scripts to recognize the given USB IDs but without drivers it still wouldn't work. Unless someone backports the modules/drivers to dm800's kernel and compile them your tuner is not going to work.

Hi guys...It's been a while...

Just wanted to let you know:

1. Improper use of a screwdriver to get my dm800's heat sink + fan removed rendered my box useless due to broken CPU soldering threads ( don't try this at home ;) ). So I won't be able to help here much more at least until I get a mobo replacement which as you maybe aware is about 80% cost of a new box.
    - Don't worry guys I now own a VU+ ultimo so I don't get bored to death ;)

2. Since what we're doing here (usbtuner) is not supported at all from DMM I don't think it's worth bullying clone owners here in this thread ( It's not too complicated to deduct from 1st point here where did my box originally come from ). I understand that moderators need to keep the order here but come on !
    I think this project benefits DMM quite substantially since users can have a little bit more from their boxes that may not have been equipped with more than 1 tuner device. Some users may actually choose DMM products because of the brand despite limited functionality in compare to other, cheaper boxes.

When I initially posted this I chose this forum because I wanted to share it with the community. At that time I thought this forum will be the best place to host this knowledge because it was about supporting dreamboxes and users of these devices may find it easier than other forums.
    Bear in mind that this package doesn't aim at dreamboxes specifically - it should work on STB devices supporting OE which is OpenEmbedded - note the Open keyword.

Originally posted by alamo amo
    The problem with this frequency 11411 on Hot Bird

Does not work with Dream 800hd

;(

This affects all devices even from other manufactures. For example VU+ required a firmware upgrade but this was due to the fact that it's firmware (not the image) is software upgradeable.
    I read that xtrend required a hardware fix for this but I may be wrong here.
    Maybe on dreambox it's just a matter of updated drivers I'm not an expert here.

Originally posted by jerry2
    Here no support, so I returned the card.

We don't really support your tuner devices. We support the software that helps setting it up. It's quite important to understand that this is not what the maker of your STB wanted you to do (have additional tuner connected over USB) which is understandable because they want you to buy STB with additional tuners if you need it.

anyways...
    It's also very important to be sure that your tuner does "catch" some channels on your antenna. To be absolutely sure about your antena and the stick it self you have to plug it into a PC/Laptop, install drivers + software and search for channels. If you can find any channels this way than you know that there's nothing wrong with the tuner device.
    Worth noting here is the fact that the above should ideally be done on a Linux OS but it's also worth mentioning that the Linux kernel you'll get installed won't really be comparable to what you have in your STB (dreambox, sunray, technomate, vu+, whatever...) because they usually work on older kernels and have different drivers. Most drivers just get "adjusted" when a new kernel line is released so that they work with new APIs etc but some are heavily rewritten or fixed.

Anyways...check if your USB tuner find any channels when connected to eg. a laptop under Linux OS and if it does find channels than you could blame STBs drivers or anything else.

I've not had a chance to try the package on oe2.0 yet but the problem you have is that for some reason modprobe -b returns error on exit whereas it should return 0.

Dude if u could write this in English ill be more than happy to help. From the log I see that there's a missing or incorrect firmware file.

The shell will actually reveal more info. So You can try getting dmesg after loading the driver.
    Try:

Code
    /etc/init.d/usbtuner.sh stop

and then

Code
    /etc/init.d/usbtuner.sh start

After which check dmesg by simply

Code
    dmesg

and you'll see some interesting kernel messages among which there maybe some error.

Also check if you have /dev/dvb/adapter1 directory.

and if you do check if you have usbtuner running

Code
    ps

if its running there should be two devices in /proc/bus/nim_sockets which you can see by simpy cat'ing it:

Code
    cat /proc/bus/nim_sockets

You can also use the script view most of these information:

Code
    /usr/script/usbtnrsetup.sh extended_status

I have Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T USB2 which us using dvb_usb_nova_t_usb2 just like your tuner (according to the dmesg output you attached) is and I have no problems with mine.
    Have you actually tried to download/install drivers using the script or GUI

Code
    /usr/script/usbtnrsetup.sh download_drivers

You have to download all the required/dependant drivers. The script above apart from setting all things up helps you download 'em.

Yes you're right. It's not possible to use modules compiled for different kernel version (unless this option has been enabled in the kernel).
    I just didn't remember what was the kernel version that v4.3 was meant to.

As for using modules from one dm800 image in another. Assuming that the kernel version is same it shouldn't be a problem to use modules from eg. iCVS or openPLi on eg. New Nigma2.
    I've done it before when I couldn't download dvb modules on one of other images due to their feed being down. I've used new nigma2's modules. As stated above - as long as the kernel version is same it should work. Unless someone added some special string to the kernel version and chose option to version modules accordingly.

Originally posted by helour

Oh god, same incompatibility (kernel-image_2.6.18-r14.3.0_dm800) for me :(

PS: We cannot copy modules from one image to others now. Maybe later.

Did you try to use modules from v4.3 with the current kernel ?

You can extract the contents of ipk/opk using ar like this:

Code
    ar -x <package_name.ipkg>

after which you will get control.tar.gz, data.tar.gz and debian-binary. in data.tar.gz you'll have all the files the package contains so if you untar it like:

Code
    tar -xzvf data.tar.gz

you'll have 'em uncompressed.
    Then you can replace the files you need with the ones extracted. To get the list of files you need use the archive helour sent you.

Originally posted by skirmas
    not working also with SifTeams drivers,i am adding dmesg

R u checking it on image running from flash or pendrive/hdd through barry or meoboot ?
    It's pretty important to test it on an image running from FLASH with firmware files located on the FLASH.
    BarryAllen/Meoboot run your system in a chroot environment but kernel is not so when a firmware file is to be loaded by the kernel it needs to be located on a partition mounted as / (root) but the real root meaning not in chroot env.

Check dmesg and post the result when running /etc/init.d/usbtuner.sh stop and then /etc/init.d/usbtuner.sh start

Originally posted by tastas
    Yes, the file dvb-usb-af9015.fw is there.

But, its user is root, but group is 2000 (not existing group?). Should it be root?
    File permissions are -rw-r--r--.

Any more ideas?

Older versions (0.5.x and below) use different scripts names and different config file. So you should really uninstall it before you install 0.6.x. The proper way of uninstalling packages on DM is:
    opkg remove usbtuner
    Upgrading 0.6.2 to 0.6.3 is as simple as installing the package again. Since only the bugs will be fixed you can leave the config file so no need to uninstall.

As for your tuner.
    As you can notice on the first post - I added your device to a "known" devices but that doesn't mean it will work.
    In order to get it working you'd probably need to compile your self modules for it but I'd first check if it works on a PC/Laptop (eg ubuntu).
    Here you have some info about cards based on this chip: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/em28xx (in German I'm afraid). Even if you manage to get it working on ubuntu for PC it doesn't mean that you will be able to build those modules for DM800/DM800se cuz it's kernel is way older and those drivers may not want to compile on it.

You just found a bug.
    Your problem is basically caused by the missing drivers. The script told you that it downloaded:
    Installing [1/1]: v4l-dvb-module-eb1a:2885...Done.
    But this is actually wrong. There isn't such driver. I need to fix this so expect a new version soon. But this will probably not fix your problem.
    I don't know if your tuner is in v4l drivers available in the repos but you can try downloading all drivers.

Yeah - the "No tuner could be found" is caused by no definition available for tuner with USBID 048d:9005. I could add it in but If helour is right there will be no drivers available anyways.