Crossover cable connection prob

• Ive always uploaded cam emu files to my dm500s by connecting it to my router and using DCC. But I want to be able to do this directly with my laptop. So i've been trying like mad to get my laptop and db to talk to eachother, but they wont!

Im using a crossover ethernet cable. It shows as connected in windows network settings, but i cant connect to the db ip address on DCC.

Help!

• have u switched to direct connection in dcc ???

lg

tom

lg

tom

we go forward to see what lies behind

• and u have also changed the other settings like the ip of your laptop in dcc and in your db ???

lg

tom

lg

tom

• this is maybe where its all going wrong

my laptop ip is 168.254.9.77

So i set the communication settings to:

DHCP enabled
    IP: 168.254.9.99
    Netmask: 255.255.0.0
    LAN
    Nameserver: 0.0.0.0
    Gateway: 168.254.9.77
    Enable Network Enabled
    Port = 80

• set dhcp to disabled and try it once again

lg

tom

lg

tom

• a have a 7000db so i have not enough knowledge of your 500.

on 7000 is it so:
    if i connect the box directly with the pc i need a crossover cable
    if i connect the box over the router to the pc i need a normal 1:1 ethernet cable

perhaps it may be just the other way on your 500 or your cable is not a crossover cable

lg

tom

lg

tom

• Its def a crossover cable. a normal ethernet cable doesnt even show up a network connection in windows. The crossover cable shows a connection, but the pc and db seem to be ignoring eachother..!! lol

Its driving me mad! grrr!

• Also, does it matter if the db is on when trying to connect?? not that it matters, cos ive tried it both on and off.

• what is with netmask:255.255.0.0 is it correct ?

on my db its 255.255.255.0

can u write the network setting of your laptop

PS i´ve tried it: connection works if db is off

lg

tom

• I set the netmask on the db to 255.255.0.0 to match the settings i got off the laptop by typing ipconfig at cmd prompt. typing ipconfig in laptop gets the following:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.9.77
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:

• sorry everything looks fine. i see no faults.

have u tried another programm just like flashwizzard to proove your connection ???

lg

tom

lg

tom

• I can only think its this old crossover cable I dug out... i'll buy a shorter new one tomorrow and give it a go. thanks for your help.

• Zitat

Originally posted by Snelly
    I can only think its this old crossover cable I dug out... i'll buy a shorter new one tomorrow and give it a go. thanks for your help.

The problem is the IP address that you are using. Do not use this IP address.
    Set 192.168.2.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 with disabled DHCP on your PC. You do not need any gateway. Set 192.168.2.2 with mask 255.255.255.0 on your dreambox.
    This will do the trick. After you do that check that you have sent and received packets on your ethernet card of your PC. If not then there is something wrong with you crossover cable

• Zitat

Originally posted by 03397

The problem is the IP address that you are using. Do not use this IP address.
    Set 192.168.2.1 with mask 255.255.255.0 with disabled DHCP on your PC. You do not need any gateway. Set 192.168.2.2 with mask 255.255.255.0 on your dreambox.
    This will do the trick. After you do that check that you have sent and received packets on your ethernet card of your PC. If not then there is something wrong with you crossover cable

How do I manually change the ip address and subnet mask address on my laptop?

• Ok, I worked out how to change the IP manually and ive tried another ethernet cable and still no joy. It shows local area connection is connected and it assigns an ip address to the db, but i cant get dcc to connect. Im pulling my hair out!

• Snelly

if your laptop shows local area connection your settings in dcc MUST be wrong.Please try another programm just like flashwizard to proove your connection or we all loose our hair

lg

tom

lg

tom

• Why not just turn internet connection sharing on on the laptop?

Change the laptop IP to 192.168.0.1 (as already suggested) or just leave it blank (Internet connection sharing will set this to 192.168.0.1 under the hood so as to speak).

On the Dreambox enable DHCP and reboot it and you'll now to be able to get whatever plugins you want automagically via blue button (in Gemini).

I use this setup and works perfectly.