DM500S Dead Tuner???

• I am having trouble with the above system which was purchased January 2006.

The Dream box, itself appears to be working fine, I can telnet into the box, etc however I can get no signal at all.

I have tried doing a full factory and re-flashing the image and re-installing the Original dm500_rel108.img
    I have then tried doing a manual scan but getting nothing at all.

All I get is the following displayed on the screen.

SNR of 36 - 54%
    AGC of 0%
    BER 8224

And it never locks onto any transponder.

Has the Tuner dies?

Is there anything I can do????

• Well, the first thing you should try is to check whether everything is fine with your satellite dish. Have you tried to use another receiver?

500HD (C) | SKY komplett | netcologne | unitymedia allstars
    twitter.com/marco79

• Yes,

Tried that.

Tried DM500s on another Sat Dish (which was just a direct connection to 19E)
    Have also tried another Sat on the Original Set-Up that the DM500S was using and other system works fine.

But can't get DM500S working on either.

Other system works fine on both.

I did have this problem about 3 weeks ago, but it sorted itself out? So maybe that was a sign then!??

• Contacted the Retailer, and they said it looks like it's a motherboard fault.

Anyone else has any problems with this. They also said that a batch went out in January (about when I got mine) with faulty tuners?

• Yeah, same problem here too.
    No signal at all.
    This seams to be 500 models problem.
    There are several 500's that has been going trough my hands and too many of them having this problem.
    Mostly with alps tuner.
    Some of them show no signal but in few minutes signal "comes back"
    Most of them that show no signals did go back to retailer and got replaced.
    Never noticed that problem in 7000 models.
    My advice is, do not byu 500, better pay little more and get 7000

• Is the Alps tuner the on with the screw in between the F Connector sockets on the Tuner?

If so looks like that's the one I have.

Just out of interest did you use any form of Switch Monoblock or motor?
    As I know the power has problems and I think that's why my tuner has packed up. I don't seem to be getting any voltage out of the LNB!?

• After reading on another couple of places it looks like it's not a tuner fault but a fault on a chip on the motherbord. The LNB Don't get any power sent to it (so that's why it don't lock or sync)

Has anyone else had this problem??

Seems like the faulty chip is a Q72 Chip located underneath the Tuner?

Just wondering how many other people have had this fault (and if it got fixed under warrenty)

Looks like I'll have to save up and go for a 7000 7020 or 7025.

Any recommendations!?

• Hi I have been there and done that!!!

My 500S went back for repair 6 times. Tuner board was replaced everytime. Still didn't work, so I got one of our radar technicians to look at it, the fault was 2 burned out resistors on the tuner board

I have now repalced it with a 500S with Alps. Working fine. I think the moral is not to have it repaired but replaced. Mine of course was out of warranty.

Tim.

• I believe mine already has the ALps tuner.

But luckily it's still in warrenty!

Just hope it's goint to be fixed the first time!!

• excuse me for asking,

i have a dm500-s with tuner problem too.

todayi bought a new tuner,on the new and old tuner are specification like BSBE1-702A BSBE1-702A 6706CB0G MADE IN CHINA.Look on the (bad) photo.I think its the Alp Tuner.

I opened the DM500-S to replace this tuner,but it doesnt work.I think the tuner is locked on the systemboard.

Have i to flux the pins of the tuner on the board????

• before you pulled that tuner, did you put a voltmeter on the lnb socket?
    if there is no power then it's probably not the tuner.

and to remove a tuner you need a good iron and some desoldering braid or a desolder-station.

• i dont have a voltometer,i have one,but its for batteries.I could try it with it.
    So i have to take out the coaxial cable and then using the voltometer on the LNB socket right?And if there is power in volte, then the tuner is broken.If there is no power,then the tuner isnt broken? Is that the logical meaning?

• if you dont have a volt meter, a small bulb/lamp from a torch battery with 2 wires - take care not to short them out.

Dreambox 7020S +80Gb HDD +2Gb CF. Humax Ci8100-PVR. Liteon LVW5006 DVD burner. DragonCam 3.02. T-Rex 4.6. Diablo Wireless + TwinBase.

• I have same problem as described by the others above. No signalstrenght at all - no lock when scanning. Connected a sat finder on 'LNB IN' connection and didn't get any light in the meter. My other receivers respond with light in the sat finder when i do this.

After reading above posts i now understand that it's probably not the tuner that are defect - BUT can anyone say what exactly could be wrong when there is no power from 'LNB IN' ?

• you need to get someone who knows electronics to follow the lnb power signal till they find the bad part - it's probably a transistor.

• got same problem here, dm500-s turn it on and get just short of 5v on lnb, when cam starts etc drops to 0, my other boxes show 18v when full loaded.
    When looking at the board seems to be the part labelled Q72 that is faulty unfortunately i have no idea where to source a replacement for this in europe any ideas?
    Also its a phillips tuner.

• Zitat

Originally posted by bilbous
    got same problem here, dm500-s turn it on and get just short of 5v on lnb, when cam starts etc drops to 0, my other boxes show 18v when full loaded.
    When looking at the board seems to be the part labelled Q72 that is faulty unfortunately i have no idea where to source a replacement for this in europe any ideas?
    Also its a phillips tuner.

europe is the best place on earth to buy parts,

what is printed on the transistor?
    Q72 is the location on the board - not the part number.

can you post a foto?

• Zitat

Originally posted by highwayman
    before you pulled that tuner, did you put a voltmeter on the lnb socket?
    if there is no power then it's probably not the tuner.

and to remove a tuner you need a good iron and some desoldering braid or a desolder-station.

A "solder sucker" can do the job too.