A fix for slow network speed...?

• Wow good job!
    On which channel, with what bitrate, (and is it constant or variable) did you perform your tests?

• Zitat

Original von Sjaaky
    Wow good job!
    On which channel, with what bitrate, (and is it constant or variable) did you perform your tests?

I used "TV2 Zulu" on Thor 1W. It has a video bitrate around 4.8 Mbit/s according to bitrate viewer. I don't no if it's variable, but I know that this channel will gives me the most pixel errors. So it was the obvious choice for testing. Only PLI+your cifs mod will record perfectly on this channel.

I wonder if Gemini 2.4 + the new cifs would be a perfect match?

Also, I wonder if there was some kind of add on from version 2.4 to 2.6 that caused the cifs recording to become so bad. Maybe we could compare the running processes in 2.4 and 2.6?

• Zitat

Original von firestorm

You better take a channel like ORF or Italia 1 (Mediaset 1) wich have a avarage Bitrate around 7.4 MBit/s. I'm curious if you can record without any problems. :winking_face:

I did a 10 minute recording from ORF1 with Gemini 2.4. Bitrate viewer says the videostream is 6.6 Mbit/s .
    The result: Not a perfect recording but good enough to watch without getting annoyed. Pixel errors occour every 30 seconds or so, but the errors are minor and there are no actual hickups in picture or sound. It's better than I expected with this high bitrate.

I have'nt tried this channel with PLI image since I have settled with Gemini 2.4 for now. But I guess recording quality would be sligthly better but still not perfect.

I can see why you have so many problems with recording, if your provider is using such high bitrates. Most channels from my provider is around 3 Mbit.

• Zitat

Original von firestorm
    If I have some time I'll try it with Gemini 2.4. Do you have replaced the cifs.ko file when using Gemini 2.4? (reject the old one?).

No, CIFS is compiled into the kernel in all Gemini images from 2.0 and up. :frowning_face: If the CIFS module could be replaced I think recording would be 100% ok.

• PLI has cifs compiled as a module.

Canal digitaal recordings on the commercial channels are almost perfect (pixelerrors are rare). Ned 1, 2 and 3 have peaks at 10-12mbit/s, which is recorded pretty good most of the time. Recording at a sustained 10-12mbit/s gives me hickups and pixelerrors. But recordings are still watchable.

I'm also busy reprogramming the streamts program (used for web-x-tv / vlc). The results are better than my cifs recording, but I still got trouble handling channelchanges. When someone zaps with the remote, the television stays black until I kill streamts with telnet.
    Getting good and stable results is not just a matter of using good programmers practices, but also of fiddling with buffersizes and parameters. I guess the dma channels and demuxer on the dm500 are quite busy when recording. Good timing and interleaving between operations (ie. copy data from demux to memory, copy data from memory to networkchip, copy data from demux to videochip) is essential for good performance. This part is, as far as I know, taken care of by the closedsource dream driver. The networkchipdriver is, contrary to populair belief, open source and part of the linux kernel. So people can make adjustments and improvements.

Another observation is that other programs can disturb things. Loading the webinterface (or reloading with ctrl-f5) gives pixelerrors in vlc. So processpriorities are something to improve.

• Zitat

Original von SjaakyAnother observation is that other programs can disturb things. Loading the webinterface (or reloading with ctrl-f5) gives pixelerrors in vlc. So processpriorities are something to improve.

I believe you are right, Sjaaky! It seems that newer images have a lot more processes running than the older ones.

I did one more test: Gemini 1.05 ! I thought that with this image I would be able to rmmod CIFS but NO! :angry_face: . Again it's compiled into the kernel! :smiling_face_with_horns:

But now that I had the image running I decided to do a recording test after all. Every channel I tried from Thor 1w was perfect! :winking_face_with_tongue: . That would be 100% in the comparison table above! So I decided to do the ultimate test: ORF1. To my surprise it's very close to perfect. I'm currently uploading the stream so you can watch it yourselves. It has very small pixelerrors.

My conclusion is: The older the image is, the better the recording quality is.

But why is this? Is it because the old images only runs very few processes? If the CPU has to work extra hard because of the lack of an extra demultiplexer, then every clockcycle should be spared during recording.

I hope someone can verify the results with Gemini 1.05...

• Here is the link to the ORF recording:

123MB TS stream

Please note, I accesed the web I/F to start and stop the recording, that's why it has a lot of pixel errors in the first and last 2 seconds.

• Zitat

I did a 10 minute recording from ORF1 with Gemini 2.4. Bitrate viewer says the videostream is 6.6 Mbit/s .
    The result: Not a perfect recording but good enough to watch without getting annoyed. Pixel errors occour every 30 seconds or so, but the errors are minor and there are no actual hickups in picture or sound

I can tell you, that this hickups may come from ORF-Stream. Sometimes, when i'm watching this channel (Humax or Dreambox, it's the same) there are pixel-errors.....

• Hello,

its a pitty that there is no progressa nymore.
    Or is everyone now sattisfied with the network-performance of the DM500 with Gemini2.9?

I am still anxious for the fixed drivers by DMM.

I mainly write this that this important thread does not get lost (push to the top)

I am sorry thast I also cannot offer any good news for the DM500 owners.

• Hello Firestorm,

no problem, dont be in a hurry. :winking_face:

Ionly dont like that hte other users forget this toppic.

And I am searchin for a DM500 NSLU2 or other NAS solution I dont like to run a PC 24 houers, unfortunately my results with ggrab on NSLU2(unslung5.5) were olso not satisfactory.

• hi ive been reading this thread with much intrest, i have a 500c and have experianced some problems with cifs recording, and like most of you i await a reply from dream mulitmedia for a driver fix,

but in the mean time im currently using gemini 2.9 and i have a nas drive connected to it for my recordings and music. im useing this one which i bought a few months ago
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-HDD-…ZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have tried recording many times and i gotta say the recordings are near perfict :) (although a slight break up for a split second when i start and stop recordings) but overall id say i get about a 98% to 99.9% recording so im a happy chappy :)
    and the best thing is i dont have to have my pc on 24 hours aday for me to use my nas drive and dreambox together :)

ive tried a few other gemini images with the nas drive and i find 2.9 to be the best one for recordings and playback

cheers

osborne82

• Hello osborne82,

thank You for Your comment, als good to know that the DM500 works with this Unit, it is allways the danger to waste money if I have to buy a ne NAS.
    Your comment also shows that the same thing works for one User and does not work for anaother using almost the same equipment, I am using DM500s, Gemini 2.9, and NSLU2, and never got a good Recording with CIFS (artefacts and lost words) or NFS(hangers).
    Maybe this is only a matter of hardware tolerances.

Do You use long cables and switches or is your NAS next to Your DM500C and connevted with a crossover-cable?

• i have the nas drive next to my dreambox and its connected to my router and dreambox connected
    with a cross over cable to my router i sometimes use cifs but ive found that i get better recordings if i use samba with the nas drive, but i wouldnt have thought there would be alot of diference between samba and cifs ? although for some reason i cannot mount the nas drive through the onscreen display, i have to use the web interface to mount the samba share, but im happy with the setup now :) :)

cheers

osborne82

• Hello osborne82,

how You mount samba on Your DM500, I think there is only NFS and CIFS (is a kind of SAMBA anyways).
    It is a little bit tricky to find the right Parameters to mount CIFS from the OSD and it will also only outomount after restart, but the mount manager of the web-if has other negative sideeffects (more than one mount at one time).

• like i say i use the web interface to set my mount point
    when i click on add mount point i get
    (0 = NFS, 1 = CIFS, 2 = DEVICE, 3 = SMBFS

i just put 3 enter my ip of my nas and the password of my samba share on my nas drive then mount
    like u say i do sometimes get mulitple mount points but i just delet them and im ok

hope this helps

cheers
    osborne82

• Hi Chriwi,

No, I'm not satisfied with the current status of recording quality on dm500. But I don't know what more to do now other than hoping for a DMM solution.

What really worries me is that recording quality slowly has worsend with every new image. If this problem really is about a bad NIC driver, then why is it slowly becoming worse and worse everytime DMM updates?

I don't want to sound all conspiracy-like, but maybe DMM found out that the DM500 was taking customers away from the bigger and more expensive boxes. The dm500 has all the features I need, so why should I opt for a bigger and much more expensive box. Well, if a vital feature (like recording) was'nt working right, then I'm tempted to buy another box. I hope I'm wrong. :confused_face:

Maybe it's just because each image is more ram and cpu "hungry". Only DMM knows...