How to create tar.bz2 files

• On a linux PC, if you have all your files in the same directory (e.g. mydir), and you want to create the file mytar.tar.bz2, from a terminal
    write the following command line:

tar cjf mytar.tar.bz2 mydir

There are also a number of applications that let you create and manipulate archives, try google with "create tar bz2 archive".

--------------------------
    Dreambox 5620S
    Gemini 2.60
    Debian Sarge PC
    hdd NFS mount
    --------------------------

• You didn't tell what operating system you need your answer for (and we still don't know - maybe you're running a Mac?). As for Windows, command line tar programs are available as part of the UnxUtils and MSYS packages as well as with cygwin. I recommend UnxUtils if you don't need a more (cygwin) or less (MSYS) complete Unix emulation layer. There's also some unix tools package from Microsoft, but I can't recommend it. You'll find all of them via Google.

There may be Windows packers which can create .tar.bz2, but I'm not aware of any - it's a rather uncommon format for this OS.

• Zitat

Originally posted by hczim

There may be Windows packers which can create .tar.bz2, but I'm not aware of any - it's a rather uncommon format for this OS.

Look for bzip2 for windows. Regards, pcd.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pcd ()

• Hi.
    If You running Windows,get power archiver.

• Zdan,
    Sometimes when I use my Windows laptop I use Total Commander32 for MS Windows. This program will let you do .ZIP .RAR .TAR .ARJ .UC2 .GZ and more. First I do .TAR and then I pack again from .TAR to .GZ and you have xxx.tar.gz file. There is no difference between .GZ and .BZ2, Gemini reads both. Hope this helps. Regards,

Zitat

Originally posted by zdan
    Since I'm not familiar with linux and thank you for such valuable information.

The highest proof of virtue is to possess boundless power without abusing it.

• Yep,total commander work that really good.
    Good advice Punisher!!!

• If you are runningmacosx, you can do it with Clean Archiver. You can download it from the database of this forum.

• now that we have covered all of that.
    how about the way to make them right on the dreambox.
    i have read how to do this with the nitro image but i don't remember how to do it with gemini.
    nitro - put all files you want in the tmp folder and use telnet to send a command that will put all those files into a bz2 file.
    does anyone remember exactly how to do this?

• Create a directory in /tmp and name it for example mytargz
    Inside this directory you must create the correct subdirectories for each file...
    Lets say you want to create a tarball for newcamd... create the following subdirectories...
    /tmp/mytargz/var/bin
    /tmp/mytargz/var/tuxbox/config/newcamd
    Place the newcamd binary in /tmp/mytargz/var/bin and the configs in
    /tmp/mytargz/var/tuxbox/config/newcamd
    Dont forget to give 755 to the binary

Then run the following commands

cd /tmp/mytargz
    tar -cvf mytargz.tar var/
    gzip mytargz.tar

Thats it...
    Your tarball will be created in /tmp/mytargz

• you can use the methode mentioned in the previous post, or you can use Power Archiver as follows:

We will be creating a tarball for evocamd. On the root directory of one of your drives, let's say D drive, create a tree that resemple the structure of evocamd tarball as follows:

d:/var/bin/
    d:/var/script/
    d:/var/uninstall/

-place the evocamd binary in thr /var/bin/ folder
    -place the 3 install scripts in the /var/script/ folder
    -place the 3 uninstall script in the /var/uninstall/ folder

-Assuming you have installed Power Archiver, from the root of your D drive, right click on the var folder and choose compress with options.
    -Under Add to Archive, rename your archive to Evocamd-Complete click on TAR , and under Compression, choose BZIPTar - make sure you put a check mark on Save full folder info .
    -Click Add and your tarball will be created in the root of your D drive.

• this is what i was looking for.
    is this tar.gz for ok for gemini or does it have to be bz2???

• Zitat

Original von goodrench

this is what i was looking for.
    is this tar.gz for ok for gemini or does it have to be bz2???

It have to be ta.bz2 for Gemini

Have Fun And Dream On

DF-II Team Member :pokal:

• It will install on Gemini just fine.
    There is not need for it to have a .bz2 extension.... .gz will do the job
    Just make sure you have the files in the correct subdirectories like explained above and that you have given the correct attributes

Tested and it works.

regards
    eolos68

• Zitat

Originally posted by eolos68

Just make sure you have the files in the correct subdirectories like explained above and that you have given the correct attributes

I'm attempting to make a tarball for Gemini using Power Archiver (in WinXP). I get all the files downloaded OK into the correct gemini folders but they all have attributes 444. How can I make them have attributes755 (or whatever).

It seems this cannot be done in Windows and I can't see any option in Power Archiver either.

Help please.

• hello

you can make a tarball on the dreambox withe bzip:

Addon erstellen mithilfe der Dreambox
    Addon erstellen mithilfe der Dreambox Posting

Gruß Ghost_2004

8000er
    Flashimage Newnigma2-v3.1.3

7000er
    Flashimage Gemini 4.20 mit DremFlash 2.8
    USBImage Gemini 4.20 (aktiv)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ghost_2004 ()

• HOWTO build Gemini package with my dreambox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grazie mille Bacicciosat , thanks Bacicciosat