MPEG-4 ? When?

• As i have noticed some channels are being converted from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. Since dm have produced only decoders in mpeg-2 is there anything that won't me force to buy a new decoder to receive mpeg-4 decoding even with a software?

• Hi,
    h264 is also MPEG-4 and each HD box can decode it. With what channel do you have problems with your 8000?

ciao

• Hi,
    i have problems with channels that are on 13o and channels on 16
    mostly on eutelsat and hotbird and now on hotbird s*k*y italia hd had been converted into mpeg-4 as you can notice from http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-Hot-Bird-13B.html
    specially hd channels won't open anymroe.
    still have problems with digitalb which channels are mpeg4 but not all. those mpeg2 are ok. as dm8000 can hardwar-ly decode mpeg-2 only will there be a addon or soft availabe?

• Sorry to tell, but if you have problems with "open channels" that are encrypted, you won't find any help.

And there are no known problems with the MPEG4-h264 hardware codecs (at least as far as I know). They're able to decode "normal" h264-MPEG4 video streams. Please try it on any non-encrypted channels!

If your problem persists only on encrypted channels: Then you may have a problem with your CAM instead of your box. But there is no support for SoftCAMs here anymore, and there will be no support for decoding channels without a subscription!

• thank you VIP
    it's a clear answer.

my insuctions on the box says:
    Main features are a 400 MHz processor the Dreambox DM8000 supports the Linux TV API

MPEG-2 / H.264 Decoding
    10/100MBit compatible Ethernet Interface
    DVD prepared
    Twin-DVB-S2 tuner
    optional DVB-C or DVB-T
    plug and mixable, Plug & Play
    4 x Common Interface
    with a large OLED Display
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm-8000-hd-pvr

i was mostly wondering that my dm8000 wasn't able to decode mpeg-4 as it writes on the manual mpeg-2 and thinking if they launched the technology why they haven't made the hardware? i can find online...google it.. mpeg-4 ready to play mpeg-4 but only from chinese manufac. so you mean by this that even if the manual says mpeg-2 my dm8000 can play mpeg-4? and i should persist find the issues somewhere else?

• The manual states:

Zitat

MPEG-2 / H.264 Decoding

So (as every HD Sat-Receiver) all HD dreamboxes are able to decode MPEG-2 AND H.264 aka MPEG-4 AVC!

I'll repeat it for the 3rd time in this thread now: H.264 is an MPEG-4 Codec! So your box is able to decode MPEG-4!
    See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

In addition all Dreamboxes which are newer than the 800 also support MPEG4-ASP aka DivX or Xvid :winking_face:

If you take a closer look on the HD packages on 13.0E (http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/Eutelsat-Hot-Bird-13B-13C-13D.html), you can see that all of them broadcast in MPEG-4. To be more precise they all broadcast in H.264.
    So MPEG4 will not be you're problem. It is quite surely that all of the channels you're refering to are crypted and you need to have a decoder and smartcard to watch them.
    Unfortunately there are only very few uncrypted HD channels on 13.0E you could use for testing (on Lyngsat they're marked with a light green).
    If you have access to Astra 19.2 satelite, you could test it with one of the many uncrypted HD channels there (e.g. Das Erste HD).

Last, but not least: Like @ReneRoman said, Softcams and decryption of channels are forbidden topics here in this forum.

so long
    m0rphU

:aufsmaul: Kein Support per PN! :aufsmaul:

• thank you guys,
    now i am clear that my issues is elsewhere.
    yes i have a motor so i will check das erste hd

• Hi,
    ask Sky-IT because they changed it and if you search with google you should find the answer.

ciao

• It's very simple. The codec is not a standard H264 codec. This codec at the moment only works on boxes from the Pay TV provider.

• Japan's NTT Data developed for Sky Italy the new "NRT encoding" that allows an optimization of the encoding in Mpeg 4, with savings of up to 40% in terms of bit-rate, with the same ease of viewing. All this translates into more bandwidth and more HD channels without having to change decoder. Sky Italy has applied for a patent
    The result is that these channels on the decoder not from sky are not visible.

NTT DATA announced that it has developed a solution for Sky nominated NRT Encoding that by applying innovative processes on the compression of linear channels broadcast via satellite, it can reduce up to 40% bandwidth consumption necessary, for the same quality. The debut of NRT Encoding - with the first channel on the Sky platform transmitted thanks to new technology - is expected by June and by December 2013, the solution will be extended to other channels.

"We are satisfied with the solution that we have developed in collaboration with NTT DATA as potential applications are numerous and provide us with a significant competitive advantage over other operators," said Massimo Bertolotti, Head of Innovation and Engineering, Sky Italy. "NRT Encoding is a project that has a significant value for Sky Italy has always been attentive to invest in technology, and for its innovative features, we have initiated the process to obtain the patent. "

"We are partners of Sky Italy for several years and, just based on the experience made in the development dell'encoding VOD, used to offer Sky On Demand on all screens (PCs, smartphones, tablets and TV), was born l idea of exploiting the techniques of encoding offline for a linear signal processing, "said Riccardo Ferrari, Senior Manager, NTT DATA in Italy. "Based on our research and to our knowledge, there are no similar solutions on the market today."

A technology that optimizes then the compression phase in Mpeg 4 (H.264), obtaining encodings up to 40% more "read" with the same quality, without requiring the adoption of a new codec (see H.265) and that will enable Sky to further increase the range of channels in HD, with the same bandwidth and without having to change the entire park a Sky of its subscribers (Sky has already confirmed the compatibility of the current HD settop box, they will get a firmware update " on-air "). Some have hypothesized that NRT Encoder could be adopted by Sky to broadcast content in Ultra HD resolution, adding that even in this case the current HD decoder would be compatible: Ok the possibility of using the improved encoding, but do not see how the current decoder can convey signals Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 dots) at 50 Hz, for both computational limits of the current decoder chip integrated, and because the built-in HDMI would not be compatible. Not to mention that the Ultra HD broadcasting could see the adoption of 10-bit color space REC.2020

• Very interesting!
    I wonder why sky italia has all those security features so far while sky uk is like a os for all the world's people?

• Hi,
    it does not matter how they encode as long as they claim it is h264 it is viewable with current boxes. This is not the original problem.

ciao

• Zitat

Original von Trial
    Hi,
    it does not matter how they encode as long as they claim it is h264 it is viewable with current boxes. This is not the original problem.

ciao

They do not claim that "NRT encoding" is h264. The text above claims that the bitrate is reduced 40% compared to h264. HD-Dreamboxes will play h264 as long as it is h264. Where does the text above come from? I can't find it on the NTT Data homepage. This "NRT encoding" is somehow suspect ... More sources?

Im Einsatz: DM900UHD | DM7080HD | NAS | 13°+19,2° | DVB-C

• Zitat

Original von Slayer_ch
    For example here.

http://www.tvbeurope.com/thewo…r-sky-italia#.UvYbooVDLl8

But the original copied text is from a CS website. Will send you the link via pm.

Thanks. Now I understand a bit what's behind. NRT means "Near Real Time". They use the delay compared to real time to code there content more efficient. But, if the content from Sky Italy will not play on a DM8000, then they are using someting that is outside of the mandatory h264 standard. Maybe some optional parts of the h264 standard? Or they modified the h264 at all?

According Wikipedia Near real-time, it can be up to 15-20 minutes behind real time for some applications.

Im Einsatz: DM900UHD | DM7080HD | NAS | 13°+19,2° | DVB-C

• Is anyone else having trouble with sky it on hd channels here?
    If they are pairing I think this is illegal for eu as they can't pair their providers with boxes. This is the main issue I use dm8000 not to buy every years the NEW boxes their sell.

• Hi,

Zitat

A technology that optimizes then the compression phase in Mpeg 4 (H.264), obtaining encodings up to 40% more "read" with the same quality

It is still h264 as they wrote here!

ciao