Enigma2 on the good old DM500 - works by netbooting over NFS

• I've created a crude hack port of Enigma2 for DM500.. Didn't even have to compile a single c source :)

There are still some issues that I need to resolve but here's what I have so far:

- Enigma2 working just about fine (channels, recordings playback, menus, python plugins, etc...)
    - Enhanced Movielist plugin working ok
    - Recording works but may be somewhat hindered due to DM500's poor NIC

Requirements:
    - NFS server for mounting the DB root fs over NFS (DM500 flash too small for an actual Enigma2 image)
    - Serial connection to the DM500 for setting linux kernel boot parameters for NFS boot

I'll put the binaries on my web site with some instructions after I've ironed out the couple of remaining issues.

Update
    Now easy to install with FlashWizard Pro (no more serial cable).

• The package is now downloadable at:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/devnull/suomipoeka/dm500-e2

Current issues:
    - remote control keymap is a bit mixed
    - Enigma2 Network setup does not work (ifconfig says everything is ok)
    - some gfx and subtitles have wrong colors
    - CCcam didn't connect to DM7025's CCcam card share (may be linked to Enigma2 Network issue?)

• Zitat

Originally posted by suomipoeka
    Anyone tried this out yet?

I downloaded your 'root'.

It is interesting. I am trying to make a 5620 image (after a long time). I want to put in your files and then make a .img file - if I can.

Regards, pcd.

• Hmm.. 5620 has got PPC as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox) so this might work on that one aswell. But what do you mean by making an .img file? The flash is not big enough. Or did you mean the kernel boot parameter change I mentioned?

• Does DM7000 / DM5620 output something like this from the serial port during power on:

Code
    Dreambox DM500
    loaded at:     00500000 0060016C
    relocated to:  00400000 0050016C
    board data at: 004FE124 004FE16C
    relocated to:  00405194 004051DC
    zimage at:     004058D1 004FD90C
    avail ram:     00501000 02000000

Linux/PPC load:

If they do this version might work for those devices aswell.. Possibly the head.ko kernel module may need to be changed.

• Zitat

Originally posted by suomipoeka
    Hmm.. 5620 has got PPC as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox) so this might work on that one aswell. But what do you mean by making an .img file? The flash is not big enough. Or did you mean the kernel boot parameter change I mentioned?

I was thinking of putting it on FW multiboot !

But I don't have much time now. Will try later.

Regards.

• Ah. Yes. That's a good idea. I didn't actually know multiboot is possible for dm500 / dm56xx. Just googled Flashwizard NFS, this sounds very good! No need for the serial cable, just what I was aiming for.

• Ok.. The biggest issue now remaining is that the KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT definitions are missing from dm500's keymap. Those buttons on the remote control volume. My current solution is to disable volume control (it still can be controlled via WebInterface).

I tested creating a backup of the image using FlashWizard Pro and that works well for re-installing. I will now create a new easy-to-install FW image and put that out for download soon.

• Zitat

Original von suomipoeka
    Does DM7000 / DM5620 output something like this from the serial port during power on:

Code
    Dreambox DM500
    loaded at:     00500000 0060016C
    relocated to:  00400000 0050016C
    board data at: 004FE124 004FE16C
    relocated to:  00405194 004051DC
    zimage at:     004058D1 004FD90C
    avail ram:     00501000 02000000

Linux/PPC load:

If they do this version might work for those devices aswell.. Possibly the head.ko kernel module may need to be changed.

How should I check it?

• Mulder, no need to anymore :)

New FlashWizard Pro installable image is now up for grabs on my site.

Changes:
    - easy install
    - keymap modified to allow setup changes (DM500 remote HELP & EXIT buttons reversed!)

• Hi,

I wrote this Guide a long time ago for the 5620, but should also work for other boxes. Hope it still works !

Flashwizard Multiboot with DM5620

It is assumed Flashwizard Pro 5.0 (FWZ) has been installed on the pc. Next need to install a Nsf server. FWZ author Musicbob says the best nfs server for this pupose is Microsoft SFU (worked with XP Pro) which can be downloaded free. Omni Nsf Server only worked with XP Home.

TruGridNfs does not work for multiboot. It is wise to turn off any firewall, although I did the following test with Zonealarm on. No problem, provided you give the necessary permissions when asked.

(1) If TrueGridNfs is installed do the dos commands:-

cd c:\truegridnfs
    nfs stop

If other servers are installed may need to stop them.

(2) With network connection and DB powered up, open Omni server. Select restart, select 'yes' to question. If the button is red (off line), keep repeating this step until it goes green.

(3) Open Flashwizard. Select configuration and fill in the connecting parameters. Close FWZ.

(4) With the image you want to use as the 'Flash image', i.e. the permanent (!) image on the 5620 and the lan connection and tv on, open FWZ and select 'MULTIBOOT'.

(5) Fill in pc export = your share folder (dreambox) and pc ip. Select 'Nfs server' tick. You should see on Flashimage (2.6.9) and 'free space xxx'.

(6) Do a drag and drop of the new image for nfs install, and keep the two ticks with 'smart settings' and 'set new image as default'. If all goes well after some time a 'Success' window will appear and the new image will be seen in the 'On multiboot' list.
    If it does not, close FWZ and open again.

(7) Select 'Software restart'. The DB will reboot automatically and the new image will appear on tv screen. This takes a very long time like 5 minutes. At this point some see a boot menu, but my setup did not display. But still the new image was loaded.

I see 2 advantages for 5620s. First, any new image can be safely installed on the nfs before booting on the DB. Second, the var space available is enormous, so one can add emus etc without worry ! Disadvantage the pc has to be on to use the boot list in FWZ, and connected, and booting may take a long time.

Good luck ! Regards, pcd.