Mountie für GP2 >=4.2 mit udev und device Labeling !

• Hello gutemine and thanks for many useful plugins.

I think you've addressed this earlier in the thread, but I'm still a little confused (maybe because my command of the German language is rather weak). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of two previous posts in this thread:

First I think you said not to change the BA label on a Barry Allen device.

Then I think you said that Barry Allen isn't using the BA label at the moment, so it's no big deal if the label is changed.

Here's my situation:
    I have the latest Oozoon Lean in flash and GP4.3 in CF using Barry Allen. Since my CF card is my BA device it's labelled "BA", and in GP4.3 with mountie4gp2/udev it's mounted in /media/ba and also in /media/sdb1.

Ideally I'd like to label it "cf", and so hopefully have it mounted in /media/ba and in /media/cf and not in /media/sdb1.

Is it safe to label it "cf"? Do you think that will cause problems for Barry Allen now or in the future? Or do you recommend leaving the "BA" label on the CF card alone?

• well, the Philosophy of the the new device management of BA is NOT to interfere with the mounting strategy of the images - if Gemini prefers /media/sda1 - not my fault. Mountie4GPs is just an alternative to extend udev with the device labeled mounts.

Why not simply do an lns -sfn /media/sda1 /media/cf (or even ln -sfn /media/ba /media/cf) - similar to what the GP2 image does for the harddisk ?

yes, it should be possible to change the label, but as outlined there are planns to use the BA labels (and these labels are ignored by mountie by intention) in teh future for otehr things too so removing/changing the label might work, but in the long run is not a good idea.

The links should give you almost the same result (except for plugins who check for the /media/cf mountpoint - but these then should be adapted to be gP2 compatible) so that for example pricons are found on CF

Ciao
    gutemine

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• OK. Thanks for the info. I'll create a link and leave the BA label alone.

• na ja Mountie ist bei den Leuten die nur eine USB Harddisk benutzen verblüffend beliebt, viel einfacher geht es ja auch nicht diese auf /media/hdd gemountet zu kriegen.

Aber Hautpsache es funktioniert.

Mal sehen was die Zukunft bei udev & co noch so bringt.

LG
    gutemine

• Hallo.
    Bei mir klappt jetzt auch alles wunderbar und ich hoffe das dieses plugin noch lange weiterentwickelt wird damit ich es auch noch bei neueren images benutzen kann.
    Mfg.

• Some more questions/feedback. This is all with DM8K, GP2 4.3 and mountie4gp2 1.1:

1. Not a big deal at all, but when mountie4gp2 is installed, it correctly labels the hdd, umounts /media/hdc1 and mounts the hdd in /media/hdd according to the label. However the empty /media/hdc1 mountpoint remains. Of course it's no problem to delete this manually, but do you think mountie perhaps could make it even easier and rmdir the empty/obsolete mountpoints? Just to make the /media dir a little tidier/cleaner without user interaction.

2. I'm probably gonna use the DVD-player about once a year after I've tested all the features once, so this is also not a big deal for me at all, but I think mountie4gp2 interferes with Gemini's automatic DVD mounting.

This is all from memory so don't shoot me if I forgot something here (or if I draw the wrong conclusion :winking_face: ).

I noticed that the new media dialog (or whatever it's called) no longer popped up when I inserted a DVD movie (this is the first time I've tried after installing mountie and I've only had this box for a short while so I haven't tried more than once or twice before either).

With a DVD still inserted I then type "mount" in the terminal and see no sign of /dev/sr0 anywhere in the list, so it's not mounted.

I then type:
    mkdir /media/dvd
    mount /dev/sr0 /media/dvd -r

The mount succeeds and the media dialog thingie pops up. But to actually get the DVD to play I have to enter the VIDEO_TS folder manually, which wasn't necessary before. I then remember the default udev/Gemini mountpoint policy and type:
    umount /dev/sr0
    rmdir /media/dvd
    mkdir /media/sr0
    mount /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 -r

The dialog pops up again, and I don't have to select VIDEO_TS manually this time, so everything is good now.

I eject the DVD from the device manager and it's automatically umounted. I pop it back in the drive, and still no automatic mount/popup.

I now type:
    ipkg remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-mountie4gp2

I then reboot the box.
    After the reboot /media/hdc1 is mounted and the /media/hdd symlink is back (successful mountie uninstall). I insert the DVD again, and this time it's automatically mounted in /media/sr0 and everything DVD related works automatically again.

I reinstall mountie4gp2 and reboot again, and repeat the DVD insertion, and no mount/popup occurs.

So I think it may be mountie4gp2 that prevents Gemini from automatically mounting /dev/sr0 in /media/sr0 (or anywhere else). I've created a user script to mount the DVD manually in /media/sr0 (which seems to be the preferred mountpoint by the DVD-Player included in GP4.3), but the best solution would be if mountie4gp2 could be adapted to not interfere with Gemini's DVD mounting.

How everything works with a writable DVD I have no idea, since I havent' tried the DVD burner plugin yet.

• Hi !

Thanks for testing !

Autofs uses a virtual filesystem to mount/umount which cases no problem to delete/undelete the directories it creates. But the way udev is implemented in the GP2 image these directories are created in the /media flash directory, which would means everytime I plug in a stick and unplug it a directory would be created and removed, even when udev makes sure that the same directory name is used. This is not a big thing but over time it could wear out the flash, hence I don't delete any unused directories (if you change device label the old label mount directory would also survive). So I'm sorry you will have to continue to remove unneeded directories manually.

Regarding the CD/DVD automount. I added a Q&D prevention to mount rawdevices by simply checking if a device name has no 4 chars (sda instead of sda1). This works fine for HDD/USB/CF but unfortunaltely breaks the dvd label mount which simply is 3 char sr0 (because CD/DVD is not partitioned there a 3 char device is OK).

I have created a version 1.3 where this exception is hopefully properly handled, because the idea of Mountie4GP2 is just to enhance the GP2 labeling (with rawdisk mount prevention and label mounting) but not to interfere with the normal udev behaviour.

I don't have an 8k (yet), hence I could not test this part of Mountie, so again thanks for testing and reporting the problem and give Version 1.3 a chance :)

Ciao
    gutemine

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• Hello Gutemine,

Could you please insert in your "more than great" Mountie 1.1 plugin a function to format in ext3 the usb disk; and why not to automatically name "hdd" the disk ?

Thanks very much.

• Zitat

Originally posted by gutemine
    So I'm sorry you will have to continue to remove unneeded directories manually.

No problem.

Zitat

Regarding the CD/DVD automount. I added a Q&D prevention to mount rawdevices by simply checking if a device name has no 4 chars (sda instead of sda1). This works fine for HDD/USB/CF but unfortunaltely breaks the dvd label mount which simply is 3 char sr0 (because CD/DVD is not partitioned there a 3 char device is OK).

I have created a version 1.3 where this exception is hopefully properly handled, because the idea of Mountie4GP2 is just to enhance the GP2 labeling (with rawdisk mount prevention and label mounting) but not to interfere with the normal udev behaviour.

v1.3 works perfectly fine. Gemini/udev mounts the DVD in /media/sr0 when inserted and handles everything automatically again. Great service. :)

Zitat

I don't have an 8k (yet), hence I could not test this part of Mountie

I know. That just makes it even more impressive how well your plugins work on the 8k. I use BA, mountie4gp2 and Off at the moment (all working fine), and as I'm still new to Enigma2 boxes I'm still discovering/trying out more/new plugins.

Zitat

so again thanks for testing and reporting the problem and give Version 1.3 a chance :)

No problem. I certainly will give it more than a chance. Even if there hadn't been a v1.3 with a fix for the DVD issue I actually would have kept using mountie anyway, because I know my usage patterns, and I just have the DVD drive to "see how it works", and will likely use it very rarely indeed. I'm far more likely to use USB devices regularly, which is an area where mountie really shines. I don't like DVD/BluRay etc. discs at all (I may change my mind if they invent cheap writeable multi TB capacity media for backup purposes). Files are much more practical, so the fact that the 8k can play most of my avi and mkv collection is so much more important than the DVD drive.

• Zitat

Original von niglou
    Hello Gutemine,

Could you please insert in your "more than great" Mountie 1.1 plugin a function to format in ext3 the usb disk; and why not to automatically name "hdd" the disk ?

Thanks very much.

No, the Gemini Images have their device manager who allows to initialize devices. And theIDE/SATA Harddisks are automatically labeled hdd to make you life easier. I don't want to duplicate functionality, sorry.

And Doing the hdd labeling for USB devices would mean inventing a crystal ball - I would need to check if you have an internal harddisk too, and how should I know that an USB stick should not be formatted and labeled, and other people would want a big stick for recordings to be labelet hdd too.

Too much of a mess - because labeling manually is included in the Plugin already now and you only have to do it ONCE to label you usb hdd als dhh if you want ot use it as internal hdd replacement.

So I think you will have to live with the implementation as it is, because I don't want to interfere with the ideas the GP2 Team has about their udev implementation. I just took the freedom to enhance it ... a little bit ... as I would like to have it :)

Gerr

None of my plugins are perfect, that's why inputs, bugreports and enhancement requests are always welcome.

Ciao
    gutemine

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• Thanks for your reply Gutemine,

Are you sure if I insert a usb disk, before launching mountie, the "Initialize function" of device manager will format it in ext3 and not use vfat ? (I do not like sata or ide disk because they all become hot and noisy....)
    For the labelling, I was meaning just add a line in the plugin menue to get both name hdd and folder movie.... so no need of cristal ball with new energy cell into it :tongue:

Gruss

• if you label the harddisk hdd a movie folder is already created automatically :)

And there is only ext3 available for init in GP2

And hdd is not so difficult to type, isn't it ?

Because then the other old mountpoints like cf, usb would sue me for equal rights :grinning_squinting_face:

Ciao
    gutemine

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• Hallo Gutemine,

I found a bug ? in mountie 1.1 :

I am using gemini 4.3 in flash and have a usb disk western digital. The record function is working very well.
    When I want to play the recorded files, the list is ok, but when I select one, the bloo*y Device manager tells me that a usb device has been found and asks with what I want to associate sda1 with (picture player, juke box..and so on; all but hard disk).
    I can read my recorded file only after restart of the DM800...

My question : Is there a way to disable the device manager ? or at least to fix it (until the device manager takes in account that a usb device can be a hard disk intended to record movies) ?

Gruss.

• well, is it really my fault that GP2 is not doing such a great job in their udev implementation ?

And Mountie4GP2 should be an enhancement and not a replacement :)

But to be honest the other Mountie light disables udev and automount completely and uses his own way of mounting (and labeling). Then the device manager should not know what is going on ... maybe give it a try.

Ciao
    gutemine

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• Zitat

Original von gutemine
    well, is it really my fault that GP2 is not doing such a great job in their udev implementation ?

And Mountie4GP2 should be an enhancement and not a replacement :)

Agree 100 % with you !!!

May be GP2 Team use the DM800 with sata disk inside as a toaster ???
    Unfortunately my hdmi cable is not long enough to have my dreambox into the kitchen :379:

Anyway, i will give a try with mountie light 1.9 and report.

Gruss.

• then you bought the wrong harddisk, I'm sorry

Lots of people are running their 800s with internal harddisks without temperature problems.

But anyway, give Mountie light a try, but don't expect too much, Mountie light was designed to replace the automounts in CVS images, it might work with the GP2, but who knows.

Ciao
    gutemine

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gutemine ()

• super plugin, echt genial.
    hab aber noch ne frage. und zwar werden filme auf mein usb nicht automatisch erkannt,
    nur über bluepanel und dann dateimaneger. geht es nicht wie bei bildern?

• Hallo gutemine,

You were right, mountie light 1.9 works fine.

The only small problem comes with the popups on each restart :
    1 camd start
    2 a new device has been found
    3 mountie
    4 camd start

Is there a way to store somewhere that if the disk was already mounted on last boot, then no need of all those popups ? Same way as last channel or last camd used.

• well the 'has been mountet popup' is not really needed at all, it was just a demo how I would like the use to be informed in a CVS image.

Simply uncomment it in the plugin.py and Mountie will be quiet :)

Ciao
    gutemine