Questions about DM8000

• Hi,
    I like to ask some questions;
    1. Where can I read review of people whom bought the 8000?
    2. what kind of slim DVD can add?
    3. If is there type and the dreambox can play audio CD/DVD in hi-fi quality?
    4.If it has video output that you can connect a monitor? (computer monitor)
    or need a video driver like video card?
    thanks in advance.
    losika

2007. July 14: think and like to buy dreambox 8000

• Hi Losika,
    As far as I can tell the DM8000 will take any slimline SATA DVD writer but there seems to be some doubt about being able to use a BluRay one, due to Linux limitations.

I havent tried an audio CD/DVD but I play live satellite and DVDs, including Dvix and Xvid, from my Dreambox through my surround sound amp in 5.1 and it all sounds good. It doesnt yet output in DTS only in AC3.
    There has been some debate on the Dream VIP forum as to whether this is a limitation of the software, hardware or some have even suggested that its a licensing issue.

The video outputs are 1 x composite, 2 x scart, 1 x component and a DVI which also carries the audio and Dream supply a DVI to HDMI connector.
    I assume that you could connect a normal monitor to the DVI connector and use the SPDIF connectors for the audio.

I havent seen any user reviews yet.

I hope this helps :)

• Hi Sandra,
    Thanks a lot.
    BluRay on Linux it is an interesting question. (Linux can not write on NTFS) I think Linux people can solve the BluRay problem to make a driver. May be with external drive.

HDMI monitor; may be you know what resolution it can have?
    Nowhere could find this data.

If somebody can write own experiance about these problem will glad read it.
    losika

• Hi peeps, I asked this a few weeks ago but the topic was closed by mods because the box was still in beta test program. Now its available I'll ask again.

When viewing a HD channel, what is the output on the RF ? Is it downscaled or is there NO output perhaps ?

Can this box run 2 Cams at the same time, 1 CI and softcam or 2 softcams perhaps ?

This will really determine if I buy one or not. Thanks.

• The max res of the box is 1080i, I have the auto resoultion plugin set to 1080i for everything apart from 720p which I have set to keep at 720p.
    This seems to make even the SD channels look as good as the HD channel of the same name but I am using a 32 inch Samsung HD CRT so my SD pictures are always excellent from any source with none of the lack of detail or softness that you get on SD with plasma and LCD TVs when watching SD.

It doesnt have RF out, presumably with a DVB-T tuner fitted then it would have a loop through from that but I doubt that it would be a modulated output.

I missed out that it also has S-Video out in my last post, incase anyone would use that.

I am currently using the offical release image so there isnt any choice for using soft cams, although I used dreamboxemu to install CCcam on it :)
    I dont have any control over it from the remote, like I did in the images I have used in my TM9100 that I am more used to. I think I can use Telnet to start and stop it but I havent needed to do so yet.
    In the menu for CI modules, 4 of them, it does have options for multiple service support.
    I dont use a CI these days as the soft cams do all I need :winking_face:

I am hoping to try some non standard images later this month, using Barry Allen, and hopefully they will have full soft cam support and I will be able to let you know if it can run multiple soft cams and CIs at the same time.
    I think that will be image dependant rather than hardware dependant so even if nothing runs it at the moment I expect that it will do at some point in the future. I have a lot of respect and faith in the great guys who write the 3rd party images for Linux boxes :)

• Well thanks for the info so far, I'm a little disappointed with no RF output as I use that on my DM7025 to send to other rooms. I'll need to check out alternatives. I guess it's down to wether multiple outputs can be used, for example I could put a scart to RF converter on it maybe if it runs at the same time as the DVI output.

I'd like to know more about softcams. To be precise I want to run Evocamd and CCcam, ideally at the same time to handle a cable tuner and the 2 sat tuners respectively.

I'll check out the official site for spec listing. Thanks again.
    Regards
    MCC.

Best Regards
    B16MCC

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von B16MCC ()

• Sandra51 thanks,
    I thought it has to be higher resolution but have to see how it looks.
    I think it will be possible buy only a monitor without tuner, loudspeaker, etc.
    In the images I not understand yet but after have it I will learn first the original and add more function later.

B16MCC the RF output you not have to miss. I find that the quality of the picture lose a lot there from transferring a lot the signal.
    RF was the last solution I was suggest you.
    losika

• I did read somewhere that the DM8000 by using enigma 2 can do a lot of things that boxes using enigma 1 cant do.

1 thing that was mentioned was the ability to stream live TV to up to 5 locations on the network, I think that was via ethernet and to pcs though but you could possibly utilise that by using a slingbox or similar.

I should think that like most official images there wil be restrictions for softcam functionality but reading about what has come out for the DM800 I think it has the potential to do almost anything you want.

I havent found the plug in to make my cup of tea yet :gutenmorgen: but I wouldnt be surprised it that was available in the future :)

• losika, I have good results from my RF output on my DM7025 , using my distribution box in the attic I have it all over the house. My main reason for wanting it on the DM8000 is simply because I am already setup to use it. I do ofcourse use DVI to HDMI on my Sony Bravia.

• Zitat

Originally posted by B16MCC
    losika, I have good results from my RF output on my DM7025 , using my distribution box in the attic I have it all over the house. My main reason for wanting it on the DM8000 is simply because I am already setup to use it. I do ofcourse use DVI to HDMI on my Sony Bravia.

For RF signal, you can use a A/V -> RF converter.
    Then you allso get the audio in stereo on the TVs that recive the RF signal.

Or you could use A/V transmitters/recivers that include IR signal.
    That should give you better quality A/V compared to RF.
    This way you could have a remote by you other tv,
    and change the channels there.
    (Without going to the room with the DB,
    or using the DB webinterface.)

• Zitat

Originally posted by Sandra51
    I havent found the plug in to make my cup of tea yet :gutenmorgen: but I wouldnt be surprised it that was available in the future :)

:361:
    You could use a USB cup warmer/heater :face_with_tongue: