openvpn in dm500 ?

• I am using openvpn in a dm7020 with gemini 2.90 image and everything is ok
    my problem is that in dm500 with the same image the openvpn has problem with the libcrypto.. (is only 300KB)
    if i put the librypto from dm7020 in dm500 everything is ok (but libcrypto is 1.3MB) (and every time i have to fix the lib_path, so the openvpn to read the new libcrypto)
    But now no empy place in the flash :frowning_face:

I have recompile the openvpn again with static the librarys and i have make stip and the librarys and the openvpn but no success again the size of openvpn with the static librarys is 1.8MB :frowning_face:
    I have recompile the libcrypto.so.0.9.7 with less support in encryptions to see if i can get a library less than 800KB to work with openvpn but i cant make the library smaller than 1.2MB.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

the libs inside the old boxes are striped down to reduce size. this means they are not only compiled with less feature, they get striped out all not needed symbols (routines) AFTER compiling. Thats the reason why the libcrypto is so small in the DM500 and why your application is not working: a lot of symbols are not included.

So you have only 2 options:
    Take the complete libcrypto with the huge size, or try to strip the complete library down to use as less space as possible but with the included symbols you would need for the openvpn. But for this you have to build an 500 image by your own (tuxbox cdk), you cant do this with OE !

• Thanks
    i will try both options...
    i had try to build image with tuxbox cdk but always i get alot problems.
    I am build the files in OE but i change the run_do_compile and run_do_configure scripts and the Makefiles to remove options
    and after i build and openvpn with static librarys i make the stip
    Thanks again

• Offizieller Beitrag

Its not only a "strip binray". When you normally use the strip command it cuts of the debugging symbols. The tuxbox cdk takes all binaries which will get into the image and compare it with the libs and cuts off all functions from the libs which are not in use by the binaries. So you have to throw the openvpn binary into the cdk before packing the imagefile, so the functions the binary will use from libcrypto will reside inside the libcrypto.
    I cant tell you how the script which do the "striping" is called, I dont have an cdk here on my office pc, but as far as I remeber this was a python skript which is called before packing the image. Maybe some of the image coders can help you out, I didnt do that for over a year now and dont use the cdk anymore :winking_face: