Solution for streaming/recording from DB500

• First I don't know if this has been discussed before in this forum "mein deutsch sind sehr slecht" and I really wish this was an english forum since much of the dreambox community seems to originate from here. In any case I'm gonna write it again just in case since it helped me alot. I've spent many hours trying to get recording and streaming to work.

As most people with older DB500x boxes know streaming video from the box to a PC works really bad with lots of data loss and bad synchronization of the video as a result. Same goes with recording over the network.

Part of this problem is due to a hardware design error with the Ethernet controller in the box(Asix ax88796). Two capacitors that should be 4.7uF but are on 1uF and therefor limits the Ethernet speed causing packets to be lost. To solve this get two capacitors 4.7uF or greater(I myself used 10uF) and solder them to the existing capacitors marked on the attached image. Make sure you position +- correctly if your capacitor has poles.

Streaming performance from my dreambox(board revision 6) improved drastically after I did this. I don't know which versions of the DB500 that has this design error except that new boxes don't suffer. Try doing a speed test by transferring files with ftp you should get over 20mbit or at least close to 20. I also wrote an email to Dream Multimedia tech support asking for their opinion about this operation quoted reply follows.

• Hallo
    Wer hat diese Modifikation an seiner Box schon durchgeführt, habe meine erst seit einen halben Jahr Kaufdatum 12.10.2006 aber dort ist auch noch der Asix ax88796 drin.

Meine Netzwerkaufnahmen mit Gemini 2.9 bis 3.5 sind nicht gerade berauschend .

Habe jetzt das letzte SF Image drauf und dort kann man unter der Netzwerkeinstellung auch die MTU einstellen wo ich jetzt eine MTU Größe 250 eingestellt habe und die Aufnahmen sehr gut sind von ORF und Pro7 sowie einige andere.
    Mit Größerer einstellung von 300 bis 1500 in 50ziger Schritten waren die Aufnahmen schlechter.

Wo kann man das im Gemini Image einstellen.

Ob es nur daran liegt weiss ich nicht.

Achso habe ein Alnet 6200 NAS mit Zaphot ALL6200_402-zap3a.bin Modifizierter Firmware am laufen.

Hello
    Who has already carried out this modification at its box mine has first since one half year purchase date 12.10.2006 is, however, also the Asix ax88796 in it there.

My network photos with Gemini 2.9 to 3.5 are not intoxicating at all.

Have the last SF image on this now and one also can take on MTU under the network attitude there where I have adjusted a MTU size 250 now and the photos are very good of ORF and Pro7 as well as reconcile other.
    With a greater adjustment of 300 to 1500 in 50 umpteen one steps the photos were worse.

Where can one adjust this in the Gemini image?

I whether it only is due to it Weiss not.

Achso has an Alnet of 6200 Nas at it with a Zaphot ALL6200_402 zap3a.bin modified firmware run.

BR

friedrich

• friedrich schau mal ins webif unter config

Ps aufnehmen geht Optimal bei mir mit DBox Win Server (ggrab)
    anders habe ichs noch net hinbekommen

Mfg Rag

<-> Astra 19.2° <->

<-> MTV unlimited <-> Kubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" <->

• RagTimE

Danke für den Tip .

Werde es mal mit einer anderen Box vom Nachbarn Probieren bin froh das es jetzt so gut läuft aber mal sehen was Morgen ist habe es jetzt seit 3Tagen laufen und bin sehr zufrieden.

Es würde mich dennoch sehr Interessieren ob jemand durch das einlöten der Kondensatoren mit dem Gemini Image( was mir gut gefällt seit Jahren habe nämlich auch ne 7000) funktioniert.

Thank you for the tip.

It becomes try am this gladly is running it now so well but what mornings see is has it now for 3 days run and am very content with another box of the neighbour.

It would be what interests me nevertheless very much by the solder of the capacitors with the Gemini image whether somebody 7000 has namely also no felled well for years I work ().

BR

friedrich

• gilt diese Abhilfe für alle Boxen oder nur für ältere 500er Geräte? Oder hat diese Abhilfe schon einmal jemand durchgeführt?

//

This workaround applies to all boxes, or only for older 500s units? Or has this workaround by someone already?

• This fix works for both the Philips and ALPS version of DM500.

Somtimes its enough to change the black capasitor
    that you see in the picture by the Asix chip.

• Do you have tested this Update with 2 capasitors over the original capasitors? What for a Capasitor must be chanched with he big black? 4,7uF 10uF ...

Hast du dieses Update schon probiert zusätzlich 2 Kondensatoren anzulöten? Welchen Kondensator soll anstelle des schwarzen hin? Größe?