How To Record on your PC

• Recording to another PC using NFSDream with TrueGrid NFS Server

Overview:
    As you may be aware, it is possible to add a hard drive to the Dreambox. With an installed hard drive, you can record movies and shows for viewing at a later time. Time shifting is also possible in some cases.

What if you didn’t want to put a Hard Drive in you Dreambox; perhaps you just don’t have a spare one lying around; or perhaps you are concerned about heat; could you still take advantage of the recording feature of the Dreambox? Yes.

A “Network File Share” (NFS) server can share a hard drive of a PC on the same network as the Dreambox. You can mount this NFS share under the name /hdd, thereby fooling the Dreambox into thinking it actually has a hard drive installed.

With a mounted NFS share using the name /hdd, the Dreambox will save the output to your PC over the network.

Requirements:
    Dreambox with active network connection
    PC with Free space on the Hard Drive
    PC must be on the same network or “Segment” as the Dreambox
    TrueGrid NFS server files, must use TrueGrid version 1.1 files
    NFSDream files, the current version is 1.05

You can find NFSDream, here, and TrueGrid NFS server here

Please, understand that NFSDream is simply a tool to make configuring the TrueGrid NFS server a little more user friendly.

Installation:

Extract the NFSDream file to a folder
    Create a new folder within the folder you extracted the NFSDream file to called nfs.
    Extract the TrueGrid NFS server files to the folder you created called nfs.
    Example: [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs1.jpg] [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs2.jpg]

Configuration:

While the NFSDream tool is completely capable of configuring your NFS server, if you read the installation file that comes with the TrueGrid server files, you will see that it can be configured without the aid of NFSDream.

For now, we will focus on using NFSDream to configure the server. Please note that this document is written with the understanding that you will be using Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    It is important to create a folder in your Systemroot directory called etc. Your Systemroot directory is where you have installed your operating system, for example, Windows or Winnt.
    You can do this easily by opening a Command (DOS) prompt and typing the following:
    cd %systemroot%
    md etc
    NFSDream will use this folder to copy two files, exports and rpc, later on in the process.
    Start the NFSDream application:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs3.jpg]
    The first thing to do is install the necessary services on your system. Select “Create” > “Win NT/XP/2K” > “Portmap Add” and “Nfs Add”
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs4.jpg]
    Now you can set your recording path. What you are actually doing here is publishing a share on the PC for other machines on the network to access, including the Dreambox. This is also called creating an “Export”.

Select “Create” > “Set record path”, then choose the folder or drive you would like to share.

When you do this, you are telling the NFS server to publish a share called /dreambox which is actually pointing to the folder you selected.

You will also notice there is a new folder within the location you chose called “movie”. This is where all recordings will be stored. Do not delete this folder.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs5.jpg]
    At this point you can actually startup the NFS server and announce the share on the network. Select “Configure” > “Nfs start”.

Don’t worry if you see the message “nfs service is (already) started”. This is normal.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs6.jpg]
    You are ready to tell (or mount) the Dreambox that the share is available.

In the top line box, enter the IP address of your Dreambox (in the field labeled “IP of Dreambox)

In the next line box down, enter the IP address of the machine NFSDream is installed on.

Once both fields have been populated, press the “Mount” button.

What is happening here is that when you press the mount button, NFSDream is actually telnetting into the Dreambox and issuing the following mount command: “mount –t nfs –o nolock local IP:/dreambox /hdd”
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://ihadna.com/wbb2/attachments/downloads/imgs/nfs7.jpg]
    Now you are ready to try recording to your NFS share. If you were to FTP into the Dreambox, you would see a folder called /hdd at the root of the filesystem. This folder is actually located on the PC running the NFS server. The folder you see on the Dreambox is actually just a pointer to the shared folder we created using NFSDream.

Enjoy! :grinning_squinting_face:

• Are normal ftp methods used to transfer movies from pc to hdd on dreambox, say using DCc? Does the Dm7020 play mpeg movies?

Thanks and regards

• Zitat

Originally posted by McFLY
    I get this : login failed: bad name or password , where do I enter the login and password ?

I got also this message, where do I enter the login and password?

• Please can anyone help me?i do all tha things as you said
    but i get a message at nfsdream tha my dreambox is busy?
    why?i try to make mounts many weeks no but nothing
    i have pli garnet on dreambox 500,thank you

• Zitat

Original von ee4649
    Please can anyone help me?i do all tha things as you said
    but i get a message at nfsdream tha my dreambox is busy?
    why?i try to make mounts many weeks no but nothing
    i have pli garnet on dreambox 500,thank you

i have the same problem. anyone can help?

• Easiest way is use Ngrab 0.7.76

After you have extract it etc - you will see the Ngrab Icon on the bottom toolbar.

Right click on it and choose - Einstellungen.

Then choose - d-box Einstellungen enter your dreambox IP address click OK.

Then Dateisystem Einstellungen and choose where to save your recording to.

Now on your dreambox ( using remote - Blue button - Pluggings - start Ngrab) and it starts recording you will see your Ngrab Icon turn red - showing you it is recording.

On your TV - the "pluggin box" remains but this does not show on your recording.

Also you can record by using the Timer Edit in the Menu panel.

Does anyone know what the Problem is playing back using VLC??????

• ON PC:

1. Start Program / Run/ enter "cmd.exe" - this will start a command window (black background typically).

2. in command window enter

mkdir d:\dreamboxshare
    mkdir d:\dreamboxshare\movie
    net share mymovies=d:\dreamboxshare /unlimited

where
    mymovies is the name the dreambox will see and
    d:\dreamboxshare is the shared directory. It HAS to have a directory "movie" below it, which is where the movies will be recorded.

Note forward and back slashes - it is important.

That is the PC prepared. Remember that this share is public and can be seen by any device on the network (including the Dreambox or other STB).

ON THE DREAMBOX:
    1. On remote press: Menu/Setup/Expert Setup/Communication Setup then press blue button or navigate to "mounts" and press enter. This displays the "Mount Manager". (Gemini)
    2. In the "IP" line enter the IP address of the PC you prepared as above.
    2a. Select "Cifs" in box to right of IP.
    3. Highlight "dir" line and press enter. Key in "mymovies" in the Dir field.
    4. In "Local Dir" key in "/media/hdd" or "/hdd". This depends on your STB but should be "/media/hdd" on Dreambox.
    5. In "Options" select "rw" - VERY IMPORTANT
    6. In "User" and "Password" enter a username and password that have access to your PC.
    7. Click on "AutoMount" if you want the share to be automatically mounted when you restart the Dreambox. (must be ticked for automount).
    8. Press yellow button to save.
    9. Press green button to mount.

Make sure you get no error messages. If it all worked, you should now be able to record on your PC without any special software.

The same method can be used to mount a Windows compatible NAS drive. By using Cifs you do not need a NFS NAS drive (which is typically much more expensive than the Windows versions).

Enjoy.
    :confused_face:

2 x DM7025SS (Gemini2v4.4), DM600(PCD 7.0), DM800S (Gemini 4.4) TM9100(UR9B2), DM500HD, Triax 88cm dish, Technomate motor.

• shumifan50

Good to see you around here mate Z:-)
    I've just registered - both my TM9101s got blown by lightning, so now am in the DM500 camp.
    Cheers & thanks for the CIFS step-by-step.

• Hi
    Thanks very much for your help. Is this an alternative to sharing with NFS? Do I still need to install the following:
    TrueGrid NFS server files and
    NFSDream files?

Thanks in advance

• try Menu, Setup, Blue-Panel, Plugins (Tools), start Ngrab recording.

Good luck

I tired it on mine but it still has not worked even though it says "recording"! Cannot figure out why. I'm a newbie too and would appreciate any help.

• HI
    I have set everything up using the cifs. I start to record but am getting an error "Record failed due to inacessable storage".
    The user name and password are correct.

Can anybody help please?

• Zitat

Originally posted by McFLY
    I get this : login failed: bad name or password , where do I enter the login and password ?

login failed: bad name or password

I'm getting the same thing, has anyone got any ideas on what to do?

• Hi Satlink2

to record you have to:

- press red for multi epg
    - press green to record
    - press green to confirm
    - now you're back in the multi epg. Press exit.

• are you using XP Pro or XP Home Edition? Remember to share both the folders you created (probably dreambox and movie) and give full sharing rights on both of them.

You can find instructions on the thread "cifs How To-English"

good luck

• You have to create a user/password on the pc that has access to the shared directory. This is different for the different versions of Windows.

2 x DM7025SS (Gemini2v4.4), DM600(PCD 7.0), DM800S (Gemini 4.4) TM9100(UR9B2), DM500HD, Triax 88cm dish, Technomate motor.