usbTuner for all new images

• Hi.
    Ever since a new DreamElite image has arrived and I didn't like it I wanted to install a better image but with usbtuner support.
    It turns out that there is no such images and that's a bit of a shame cuz the new DE 1.0 is not too good.

Anyways...I wanted to check the RamiMaher v2 image and I generally like it but...as mentioned above - no usbtuner support.
    Someone could think: hey it should be possible to simply download the DVB modules for your tuner, load them, fireup the usbtuner program and restart enigma but the problem is that if the image supports usbtuner (eg. DE 1.0) the team "secures" it so that it only works in this image - shame. So if you simply copy the binary: usbtuner or vtuner from the image supporting it to any other image it will give you something like: Image not supported or "It's not an EDG image" - you get the point.
    An option would be to use other usbtuner binary found on the internet but the problem is that since the new kernel (2.6.18-7.4) vtuner stuff have changed and older binaries don't work anymore giving: DMX_START failed - Invalid argument.
    A remedy for the above would be to get the source of usbtuner, fix it and recompile it. The source can still be found try google but in order to fix and compile you have to have skills, tools and time.

So....
    I've spent some time trying to find a universally working usbtuner binary with no luck...but I remembered that some time ago (around DE 1.30 or 1.33 time) I managed to find a zip package of usbtuner + needed scripts and one of the scripts was simply putting a file somewhere and usbtuner provided by the package worked. I could not find this package anymore but I focused on this approach.
    The original DE1.33 team was advertising that they've added some stuff to the kernel so that dtt/usbtuner was working only with their image + kernel. I didn't think EDG team were playing up with the kernel to "lock" usbtuner to their image so I decided to try DE 1.0 image from meoboot installed on top of RamiMaher's image. As u can guess usbtuner worked with this scenario so it was an indication that it's not the kernel that their vtuner is checking. A little bit of hex viewing and - yeah bingo.

I here give you usbtuner binary that will work on any image with kernel (2.6.18-7.4) and probably newer since vtuner stuff have not changed since.

The package contains scripts taken from DE 1.0 image cuz I don't have time to write something better now.
    You simply need to copy the uncompressed directory structure to your dreambox and make sure that /etc/init.d/restartDtt.sh script gets called during the box bootup process.
    You can do it by:
    # update-rc.d restartDtt.sh defaults
    Additionally you can add a call to it from /usr/bin/enigma2.sh so that it gets called every time enigma2 is started.
    But most importantly - you need to edit /etc/dtt.devices and put the name of the module set your usb tuner device needs. Mine is nova-t-usb2 and that's what you'll find by default in the file from the package. The list of exact module-set names you can find in /usr/script/loaddttmodules.sh script (it's the bit before closing round brackets).

Please don't ask me questions on what modules you need to load and how and why it's not working for you. I know that this text is not easy way of having additional USB tuner with your dm800 but I don't have time to make it simple. You have to know what you are doing. I'm simply providing you a hacked usbtuner binary that should work on all images eg. Gemini or Newnigma2, any really.

Something to mention here if someone is interested....The binary is the one from DE 1.0 image which on my dm800 is taking around 10% of CPU ( usually 8%) peaking up to 25% which I think is quite good. I also hacked the binary from BlackHole team's image (the one for Vu+) and it's CPU usage is a lot higher - around 30 - 40%.

• You, sir, are a f*ckin GENIUS!!

This worked like a charm! :hurra:

Thanks a lot for the time and effort you spent digging this up!

Keep up the good work! :335:

edit: wrong smiley at the end...

• wenn mal jemand das näher erklären würde könnten sich vielleicht mehrere
    Leute freuen. Also ich habs so verstanden : ein universelles usbtuner treiber
    der mit jedem tuner funzt und das noch mit 10% prozzi auslastung (dm800)

• Zitat

Originally posted by yanardag
    wenn mal jemand das näher erklären würde könnten sich vielleicht mehrere
    Leute freuen. Also ich habs so verstanden : ein universelles usbtuner treiber
    der mit jedem tuner funzt und das noch mit 10% prozzi auslastung (dm800)

I'm not so good in German so you gonna have to write it in english.

Btw. There is another thread of mine for usbtuner with ipk package for most of the tuners and kernel/drivers from December 2010.

• Hello a.key

Good job !

One more question, I have a afatech USB DTT, based on the AF9005... the older DE 1.33 didn't works as well as the actual drivers didn't.

It finds the USB and recognize it as DTT USB, but then when I do a search of the frequencies it doesn't find any channel...

Any idea ?

Thanks

Toysoft

What about this one ?

Recognized, but no channels found when scanning. This with DE 1.3.3 as well as the new drivers for AF9005.

Toysoft

----------------

Afatech :
    T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=16 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=15a4 ProdID=9020 Rev= 1.00
    S: Manufacturer=AFATECH
    S: Product=DVD DMOD
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 4 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=dvb_usb_af9005
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=2ms
    E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

15a4:9020|0ccd:0055|10b9:6000)
    dvbt=af9005

config DVB_USB_AF9005
    245 tristate "Afatech AF9005 DVB-T USB1.1 support"
    246 depends on DVB_USB && EXPERIMENTAL
    247 select MEDIA_TUNER_MT2060 if !MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMISE
    248 select MEDIA_TUNER_QT1010 if !MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMISE
    249 help
    250 Say Y here to support the Afatech AF9005 based DVB-T USB1.1 receiver
    251 and the TerraTec Cinergy T USB XE (Rev.1)
    253config DVB_USB_AF9005_REMOTE
    254 tristate "Afatech AF9005 default remote control support"
    255 depends on DVB_USB_AF9005
    256 help
    257 Say Y here to support the default remote control decoding for the
    258 Afatech AF9005 based receiver.

http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.…media/dvb/dvb-usb/Kconfig
    http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DVB_USB_AF9005.html

Ebay link where to buy for 13 USD :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA…&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-US…eceiver-NEW-/280515192077

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-US…ceiver-DVBT-/350424821229

• The USB tuner in the links has been made sold different chipsets.
    I got one that looks the same, but its: Afatech: AF9015, Tuner: TDA18218

USB tuners with the same look has also been sold with:
    -Intel ce6230 (should work with Dreambox)
    -Afatech AF9035 (dont think it works, have not tested)

Its time to flash your Dreambox with a newer image :winking_face:
    Try the usbtuner 0.4.3b drivers from a.key in this thread:
    usbTuner (multiple tuners on dm800) v0.5.3 ipk package (all new images)